ARE YOU AWARE OF THE POWER OF YOUR THOUGHTS AND WORDS TO MAKE YOU SICK OR HEALTHY?Jul 17, 2022
Our thoughts and our words have power, more power than most think or give them credit but it is Biblical.
3 John 1:2
“Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul
And what we think determines who and what we will be:
"For as he thinks in his heart, so is he........"
Do you want to be healthy, think you are healthy.... Do you want to be sick? think about the illness and being sick.
Let’s explore this concept.
- The word of God applied to our physical body transforms our health because healing starts in the Spirit.
- We not only have to believe in God and believe in His word (even the demons and Satan believe in God, but they don’t obey Him) we have to act as we believe.
- We must put our faith into action. Faith without works is dead (Read James 2:14-26)
- How do we put our faith into action? Declaring the word of God over our lives including our minds and physical bodies. We need to decide on the matter, and it will be established.
“You will decide on a matter, and it will be established for you,
and light will shine on your ways.
- We must avoid focusing on our toxic thoughts, limiting beliefs, ailments and pains, and diseases in our bodies and minds and take those thoughts captive to the obedience of Jesus Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:5
“5 We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,
- How do we take our thoughts captives to obey Christ?
- You are responsible for your thoughts. You can exercise control over your thoughts. Remember in Genesis, the first murder, God warned Cain to focus his mind on the right things, but Cain chose to think about the wrong things - anger and jealousy - which led to his murderous actions. Are you willing to admit that you can, with God's help, regain control of your thoughts - and think enabling, helping thoughts instead of disabling ones?
- Change your mind – and your behavior will change. God calls us to change sinful behavior that does not honor Him. Instead of focusing on your outward behavior, work on disciplining your mind - from which the behaviors stem. Allow God to transform you by the renewing of your mind. Write down what you are thinking when you are behaving in a way that is not pleasing to the Lord and practice renewing your mind.
“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
- Don't just react to your problems, analyze them and learn from past experiences. When you experience difficult challenges, you can react to them and think yourself into despair every time. Or you can look forward to the next opportunity and ask yourself what you learned from this failure. Is your first thought I'll never do anything right? You don't have to get trapped by disabling thoughts. You are capable of getting out of your shame, despair, hopelessness, and anger - by taking control of your thoughts.
- Take your disabling/ limiting thoughts captive through confession. Paul urges us to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ"
“ Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Confront your disabling thoughts. Turn them over to God and become who He sees you can be. It will take work to take your thoughts captive each time they pop into your mind. But it is possible with the help of the Holy Spirit.
- Choose to focus your thoughts on the right things. We are to think about those things that are "true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable"
“8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
When we think about those things, God promises to give us His peace. What a contrast that is to the thoughts of millions of people today. Don't look to a movie, TV show, or how-to formula to accomplish this for you. It takes personal discipline and commitment.
- It is not easy, but it is possible. It is not easy to retrain your thoughts or to respond in new Christ-like ways. Take heart: as God empowers you to focus your mind on the right things, it will become easier. You can develop a new frame of reference, based on what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy.
- But not only take our thoughts captive to obey Christ we must declare God’s promises and the good thoughts we are encouraged to think about in the Bible. Remember out of the abundance of our hearts our mouths speaks;
“The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
- Not only what we think but what we say is so important that is a matter of life and death.
“Death and life are in the power of the tongue….
- Here are some examples of Bible verses we could or should be declaring regarding our health:
“But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds, we are healed.
“O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me.”
“14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.
“For I will restore health to you, and your wounds I will heal, declares the Lord…..
“My son, be attentive to my words;
incline your ear to my sayings.
21 Let them not escape from your sight;
keep them within your heart.
22 For they are life to those who find them,
and healing to all their[a] flesh.
1 Peter 2:24
“He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds, you have been healed.
“Saying, “If you will diligently listen to the voice of the Lord your God, and do that which is right in his eyes, and give ear to his commandments and keep all his statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you that I put on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, your healer.”
It is possible to live a life aware of our thoughts and take them captive! God gave us the Holy Spirit to empower us. Our words have the power to bring life or death so let’s declare life and health over ourselves and the people around us.
Start putting into practice the steps recommended here and you will see results to gain power over your mind and thoughts and be healthy as the Lord wants us to be to do the works, He prepared for us before the foundation of the world to walk in them.
“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
We need to develop a mindset for wellness by using the steps above. May the Lord help us apply the steps and His Word to our lives.
If you would like more information or just would like to talk, I offer a 30-minute free breakthrough session feel free to email me: [email protected]